Thursday, September 16, 2010

Personal Story From A Former Server

Here is another moving story we got from a person who worked in a smokey bar to make ends meet.

When I was laid off my regular job last summer, I was forced to pick up a part time job in a bar to pay my bills. Every day and night the bar would fill up with patrons who smoked constantly. I used to hold my breath as I walked from one end of the place to the other. People would blow smoke right in my face as I took their orders. I would always have trouble breathing for days after each shift and have horrible headaches too. Unfortunately, it was the only work I could find, so I was forced to sacrifice my health for work. Also, people from out of state were always surprised and disgusted with the smoky atmosphere.

Every day in Indianapolis there are workers just like this forced to choose between their health and paying their bills. It's time to make all of Indianapolis smoke free for ALL workers.

No comments: